Thursday 7 February 2013

Digital Storytelling

     This week's theme has been digital storytelling.  I enjoy telling stories.  I enjoy writing them, sharing them, and am interested in using digital methods to tell them.  In the past, I have used Movie Maker to create my family stories but this week I learned about the smorgasbord of tools out there for digital storytelling.  Earlier, during the second week of ETMOOC, I created a HaikuDeck and had a chance to try Animoto.  One simple tool that I enjoyed and could see myself using in the classroom tomorrow is Five Card Flickr Story courtesy of @cogdog.  The following is my poem made using Five Card Flickr.



Five Card Story: Not Enough Minutes

a #etmooc story created by Kooner_j

flickr photo by cogdogblog

Walk me


flickr photo by cogdogblog

Time is short



flickr photo by Henriksent

Feed me



flickr photo by cogdogblog

Run off my feet



flickr photo by debbie.fucoloro

Nodding off at last

Not Enough Minutes
Walk me
Time is short
Feed me
Run off my feet
Nodding off at last


I also wanted to try my hand at a stop motion movie, but because of time constraints, I was not able to do that. However, I have been working with a group of students creating anti-bullying videos for Pink Shirt Day. They will have to do as my digital stories for this week.  I feel like it is a bit of cheating because I am using iMovie but I do promise myself to later on try to create a gif and a stopmotion.  In all honesty, I just learned how to use iMovie two months ago so it is still part of my learning.  Here they are.







I participated in the #etmchat briefly this week (between shuttling my kids to their various activities and trying to find a WiFi hotspot).  There was this very profound tweet:


We need to teach the verbs of storytelling & not just the tech Tech will change tradition of story remains  


It made me think of how the tools always change but stories have continued to be told, whether around the campfire, in a book, over the radio, or on television and now via the internet.  The skill of being able to connect with your audience is the same, using powerful messages and emotions.  I wonder if our students see the similarities between traditional and digital storytelling?  I wonder if one is more important than the other? It is difficult to say at the elementary school level where we are still focusing on some basic literacy skills.  What do you think?




1 comment:

  1. I love the important digital stories you have created with your students! I have a digital storytelling website
    pln.lanecc.net/mindonfire
    and I post a Digital Story of the week for my Lane CC colleagues. Inwould like to feature yours next week, if that is okay?
    I am @sandramardene

    ReplyDelete