Monday 14 January 2013

My First Post Ever! Introduction for ETMOOC

My Rambling Intro:


     Wow!  I never thought I would get this far.  It has been such a journey for me to be able to be here, where I am introducing myself in my own blogpost (!) for a MOOC.  My name is Jas and I am a newbie, a newbie to technology use in my classroom that is.  That almost sounds like a confession to my own ears, but it is the truth.  Just four short months ago, I did not have a website for my classroom to communicate with parents.  I attended one workshop in August at Hillcrest Elementary which turned my teaching upside down.  I was introduced to this wonderful world of educators and new ideas on Twitter.  Now Twitter just introduced me to ETMOOC just last night.  At that time I wondered to myself, "What the heck is a MOOC?"  After a quick search on the topic, I knew I had to be part of ETMOOC and learn from other educators.  So here I am, posting an introduction to my very own blog!

My Short and Sweet Intro:


     I am an elementary school teacher who job shares in two classes.  Most of my week is spent with a wonderful class of Grade 6 students and on my Fridays I am with an energetic Kindergarten class.  I take care of two classes at school, two rambunctious boys at home and I love learning new things and meeting new people.

ETMOOC Tasks


I look forward to an interesting learning journey through ETMOOC.  I see the list of things I need to accomplish to be a part of this learning community and I am trying to check all the boxes to complete all of the tasks.  They seem daunting and I feel like I face a steep learning curve but I am excited as well.  I have already missed the Welcome and Orientation and will be teaching during the repeat session, but I hope to catch up soon.

Deep breath.  I can do it.

6 comments:

  1. Great introduction! Kudos to you for jumping in with both feet when you clearly have a lot of energetic kids at home and school. They will love you sharing your learning. I think students love to learn with and problem solve with teachers so don't be afraid to share with them. Enjoy etmooc!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your encouragement. I learn so much from my students and my own children as well and I will definitely be sharing my new on-line learning experiences with my Grade 6's.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jas

    Welcome to the ETMOOC!

    I’m going to be facilitating the session on Introduction to Blogging this week and I’m keen to know what aspects others would like me to cover.

    I saw in the #etmooc twitter that this is your first education blog so I was just wondering if you could tell me some of the main aspects you would like to know more about in terms of blogging? For example, what aspects have you struggled with or would like to know more about?

    I would also like to say congratulations! Very good first post! (I read a lot of first posts in my job). Great to hear the workshop has turned your teaching upside down and to see you taking time for your learning.

    Thanks
    Sue Waters

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sue,
    Because I just started tonight with creating a blog and actually posting, I don't know where to begin with my questions. I have started with just writing for myself and posting my thoughts.

    I am hoping to become a little bit more focussed as the weeks progress. Although, one thing that does come to mind is that I need to learn about blogging etiquette. I will let you know if anything else comes to mind. Thank you for your encouragement.

    Jas

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go Jas! The first one is always the hardest. #etmooc will give you lots of inspiration to write I am sure, don't sweat it!

    I found you because you added your link to twitter so you are doing well :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Rhoni. Twitter has been amazing in helping me expand my PLN. (A few months ago I did not even know what a PLN was.) I hope to join some etmooc discussions soon on Blackboard Collaborate once I figure out exactly how it works.

    ReplyDelete